Our Sports Climbing Level 1 Certification is certified under Singapore National Climbing Standards (SNCS)
Beginners are welcome!
Imagine you can climb to the top of the mountain and enjoy the panoramic view of the world, how would it be for you? Come and join us to learn the techniques of climbing and start now to make a difference in your life!
Sports climbing is a multi-dimensional sport from a fitness perspective. It offers a balance between physical exercise and mental discipline.
Sports climbing requires much more than upper-body strength. It trains up your intricate footwork, lower body strength, and lean muscle mass. Although not often thought of as a common form of cardio, ascending walls is a sure way to get your heart pumping, similar to the way climbing stairs or jogging does. A one-hour climb session can burn well over 700 calories.
Proper training and safety precautions are ensured. After the one day course, you will be given a level one certificate in accordance with the Singapore National Climbing Standards (SNCS) endorsed by the Singapore Mountaineering Federation. This activity is only open for people who are 13 years old and above. So what are you waiting for? if you can do something great for your body with an extraordinary experience, try climbing. Get yourself certified and join us to climb the actual mountain at Batu Caves, Malaysia!
Course Code: SCCL1
Course Duration: 7 hours or 2 sessions of 3.5 hours
Prerequisite: At least 13 years of age
The purpose of this course is to give participants an enjoyable, safe and informative introduction to sports climbing. The course is designed for people with no prior knowledge of sports climbing. Participants will be introduced to equipment, climbing techniques, checking procedures, belaying for top-roping and climbing calls.
Trainees must demonstrate the following course requirements :
1. Correct harness usage
2. Correct tie-in technique using the figure-of-8 knot
3. Correct belay technique using a friction device
4. Correct use of climbing calls
5. Perform pre-climb checks
- Introduction to the Sport of Climbing
- Development of climbing in Singapore
- Concept of climbing
- Sports climbing /Traditional climbing;
- Lead / Top-rope;
- Introduction to Climbing Equipment (usage, care, limitation)
- Ropes (Dynamic & Static)
- Friction devices – (Fig.8 and Tubular)
- Climbing shoes
- Chalk (drying agent)
- Others – Quickdraws (Runners), Sling/Tape
- Tie-in Knot (usage, limitation, dressing)
- Figure of Eight thread-through
- Belaying Technique (5 steps belay) using friction devices
- Belaying a climber
- Lowering a climber
- Belaying stance
- Arresting a climber’s fall
- Rope handling & management
- Basic Climbing Technique
- Use of handholds – pinch, grip, underhand, side pull, sloper, pocket
- Use of footholds – edging, smearing
- Basic wall configuration – corners, overhangs, slabs, roof
- Top-rope Climbing
- Pre-climb checks
- Climbing commands
- Safety considerations – pendulums, falling on other people, rope placement, buddy check
- Course Review
- Suggestions for further advancement
- General discussion and feedback
What do you need to bring to the course?
If you have your own climbing gear, it will be good to use your own climbing gear. So you will get familiar with it. If you do not have any climbing gear, don’t worry about it! We will provide you with all necessary equipment, such as Climbing harness, Climbing Shoes, Belay Devices.